Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Why Not Boys?

I'm perplexed by the number of people who have written to me lately asking to adopt a single female. I've found over the years that guinea pigs, regardless of sex, have a wide range of personalities. Most of my favorite piggies have been males, ever since I got my first black shorthair over 20 years ago. Although I love all my current guinea pigs, my "buddies" right now are Prescott, Jabbie, Frosted, and Taco...all males.
It's fine to adopt a single guinea pig of either sex, as long as you're willing to give it lots of attention. Males show aggression when unfamiliar males are around, or when there's a female to fight over. A single male can be just as affectionate and friendly as any female. Plus, with a male there's no chance it could be pregnant. Males are no more likely to bite than females. The only major difference is that males do tend to be larger, but this certainly doesn't reflect on their great personalities!

No comments:

Post a Comment