Friday, February 5, 2010

Tragedy

Let me preface this by saying that my dogs have never, EVER attacked any of my guinea pigs. When I say never I mean NEVER. Until tonight.
We were out for a few hours and came home to find Poppy's sleeping bag on the dining room floor. Two of the babies were unaccounted for. We found one hiding behind Taco and Chili's cage and returned him to his mom. We found the other stuck in the crack between couch cushions, which meant that my dog Bogie had killed it and left it there. I guess the temptation of a bunch of tiny new guinea pigs running around was too much to resist.
We have moved Poppy's cage into the Pigpen, so we can shut the door when we leave the house. I'm still in shock; I feel horrible and guilty and sad that this little guy was alive for less than two days and we could have prevented this from happening. It was awful that my kids had to see all that, and I know they're as upset as I am.
If you look in the top picture, the baby we lost was the one who was mottled dark orange and black. I'm really sorry, everyone...I'm so disappointed in myself right now. I don't even know what else to say.

No comments:

Post a Comment