Saturday, February 6, 2010

Baby

First, let me thank everyone who has sent supportive e-mails (and they've all been supportive) in our sadness. We realize this was an accident, but it doesn't make us feel any better that we lost one of our newborns, and we are being extremely vigilant in protecting the five that remain. We did discover that Lady, not Bogie, was most likely the culprit..she started getting after the babies again today. We used to have a baby gate lying around that we can use when we are home; if we can't find it, I'd like to get a new one. At night, and when we are away from home, we will keep the Pigpen door shut.
I decided to go ahead and just name the little guy Baby, and I put the name in my logbook just like I do with all my other animals. I wanted to at least acknowledge that (s)he was here, if only for a short time.
In a few weeks, most of the pups and even Poppy will be going to new homes, and I'm going to miss all of them. The babies are so cute and so fun to watch. I keep introducing them to new fruits and veggies. They have their sleeping bag, an igloo, and their corner room to hide in. When I have some more time tomorrow, I'm going to take individual, close-up pictures of each one and post them here so you can all see them.
Thank you all again for your support...I appreciate that you're all following the blog. I had thought about not even posting Baby's death at all, but realized that if I was going to blog, I wanted to be completely honest about everything happening here. We have now had over 120 guinea pigs in the last six years; this is the first time something like this has happened, and we will take any and all precautions to make sure it doesn't happen again.

No comments:

Post a Comment