Saturday, February 20, 2010

Just when you think you've seen it all...

This is Indigo, who was adopted last summer with another female. The owner showed up at my house today (no phone call, nothing..I don't know what they would have done if we hadn't been home) and informed me that they were "having trouble" with her and that the other female had been attacking her. Indigo has open sores ALL OVER her body; I asked why she hadn't been taken to a vet and the girl said, "I don't live with my mom, I'm not really sure." (The mom sat in the car the whole time.)
Nova is now off his medications, so I am giving them to Indigo in the hope she will heal soon. I am angry BEYOND belief right now, and I have decided that I am going to have to write up a fill-in-the-blanks adoption form that will require potential adopters to provide detailed information as to why they want to adopt, what vet and personal references they have, etc. Returning a guinea pig to a rescue because it has health issues and you can't afford to take it to a vet is just unacceptable! These people never even called to ask me any questions when the "problem" began; they just showed up here with Indigo in a box. There are SO many things I wish I would have said, but my biggest concern is always for the welfare of the guinea pig; I couldn't just turn her away in her condition, so we will do whatever it takes to get Indigo well.

No comments:

Post a Comment