Thursday, December 31, 2009

A Little Bit About Us

Sometimes, especially on some New Year's Eve when I'm looking back on the last 6+ years we've been living on our farm, I think to myself how I never expected to be where I am today. I have a B.A. in English writing from St. Lawrence University. A few years after graduation, I decided I wanted to try culinary school, and went to Paul Smiths' College in the Adirondacks for one semester. Ryan and I were married in 1999, when I was 8 months pregnant with Amanda. We moved out here when our kids were 4 and 2, and not only did we expand the guinea pig rescue, we started taking in farm animals as well. If you'd told me six years ago we'd own 12 goats, a llama, a donkey and nearly 30 guinea pigs, I think Ryan and I would have laughed.
Most of the animals we've taken in have been abused or neglected. I think what we've learned above anything else is to have patience; that applies to all our animals, no matter where they've come from. With love and patience, we've seen many of them blossom, and become the wonderful companions they are today.
So, in the spirit of the New Year and new beginnings, let love and compassion be our constant, guiding light, even in these not-so-great times. Happy New Year to all!

No comments:

Post a Comment