Sunday, December 6, 2009

Why Do People Give Up Their Guinea Pigs?

Someone once asked me, "Do guinea pigs need rescuing?" Well, sometimes. Just as with cats or dogs, there are situations in which the life of the animal is in danger, and it must be given a safe home. And again, as with dogs and cats, the reasons people give up their guinea pigs are the same. They include (but are not limited to) the following:
1. Not enough time.
2. Not enough money/lost job, etc.
3. Kids won't take care of them.
4. Too messy.
5. Too loud.
6. Bit someone.
7. Moving.
8. Allergies.
9. Accidental litter.
Because I am a rescue, I often ask people for a specific reason as to WHY they are getting rid of their pet. I need to know this so that if the guinea pig is still adoptable, I can explain everything to potential new owners and provide any information that will make the adoption and transition into a new home as easy as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment