Wednesday, January 13, 2010

What About Rats?

I've had a few people ask if I have rats for adoption, or if I rescue them. I USED to; in fact, one of the first rescues we had when we moved out here was a pregnant rat that someone found on the side of the road (in a box, in the dark, while it was SNOWING). It was a miracle that she was found. All seven of her babies were female; I adopted out two, and the others all stayed here until they passed away.
I like rats, and I think they make excellent pets, despite the public's general phobia about them. I've owned quite a few in the last six years, and even adopted three from the CNYSPCA when they had several dozen. I was down to four a few weeks ago, then suddenly lost three to old age, so I have one female remaining, and I don't plan on taking anymore because the guinea pig rescue has gotten so huge.
However, if anyone is interested in rats, I do know someone who does rescue and adoption, and I will pass on her e-mail if you contact me. Like guinea pigs, many rats end up in shelters or rescues, and they need our help as much as any other type of animal!

No comments:

Post a Comment