Monday, June 14, 2010

R.I.P. Prescott

It is with great sorrow that I have to tell everyone that we had Prescott euthanized this morning. Ryan and I spent the whole weekend discussing this, knowing Prescott had a vet appointment coming up to check the progress on his bumblefoot. During the last few weeks, he got worse, not better, in spite of all the foot soaks, medication, and newspaper bedding. Bumblefoot can lead to an infection in the leg bone, and with both front feet getting progressively worse, we decided (with great difficulty) that we did not want him to live the rest of his life in pain, getting treatments that I could see he wasn't happy with.
Prescott was the first guinea pig to be put on my blog; I considered him one of my "poster pigs" for neglect. When he arrived, his one foot was so swollen it looked like it would pop if you touched it. His hair was falling out, and he sat in the corner of his cage looking absolutely forlorn, holding his foot in the air because it was too painful to set down. We got him in to the vet right away, and have struggled to keep his bumblefoot under control since then.
Once Prescott started to feel better, his personality came through. He was curious and cuddly and would eat anything you put in front of him. His favorite food was a strawberry; I would often give him one right after his foot soak. Before Ryan took him in this morning, I fed him one last strawberry and told him I loved him. We plan on burying him next to our dog Reilley, under the tree in the front yard.
I know many of you met Prescott when you came to either bring or adopt guinea pigs; many people asked about him after reading his story on this site. He is now at the Rainbow Bridge with all the furry friends we've lost, and we hope to meet up with them someday.

No comments:

Post a Comment